Pat White wrote:

> UV and Haze filters are similar, if not the same, and are neutral in color.
> They're meant to reduce UV (naturally), which improves the look of distant
> landscapes, among other things.  You can leave them on all the time.

I use a UV filter only when needed to reduce distant haze. In other
situations, it just adds another piece of glass reducing the efficiency
of the lens and contributing to flare. Most filters are not multi
coated, and even those that are generally are not up to the standards of
pentax SMC lenses. The best filter for most situations is no filter.
Paul