"I'm starting to feel the same way Alan.  Do I continue to invest money
on
Pentax lenses for my MZ-S or do I hold off and wait?  If Pentax did
release
a really nice DSLR (and I'm assuming at that point film is dead and you
have
to go digital) but didn't use the K-mount, I'm not sure what I'd do."

I know this is really a dead horse at this point, but I wouldn't worry
about investing in a film camera.  35 mm is safe for at least 20 years.
Many will still want to use their 35 mm cameras (especially the SLR's)
and since film technology is already developed and mature, it needs
little R&D. As long as its profitable, someone will make film.  And, of
course, there is no real digital equivalent to the disposable camera,
which is a huge seller.  There cameras will keep film in production.  I
think that we will the see the price go up and find that developing will
become more expensive and scarce, however.  But, after all, they still
make all sorts of large format stuff, and how big a market can that be,
relatively speaking?

Steven Desjardins
Department of Chemistry
Washington and Lee University