frank,

It really has to do with the lack of a full frame sensor - so it is
simply a cost problem.  I can't justify paying $4000-$9000 to not have
a magnification factor - usually 1.5 or so.  That makes your nice,
wide 20mm lens about a 30mm.  Quite a change.  A 14mm is only a 21mm.
That is a big, heavy, expensive piece of glass to just get to a 20mm.
That is the extent of my techno-babble concerning it.

Bruce

ft> No doubt the response will require techno-babble which will fly way over my head,
ft> but I'll ask anyway:  Why is digital less-than-proficient at wide angles?  Thanks
ft> in advance.

ft> regards,
ft> frank

ft> ps:  I almost asked why digital "sucks", but I can't use that word anymore without
ft> thinking of Wendy and her prior admonition on the mis-use of that word.  You know,
ft> of course Wendy, I'll take that one to my grave.  You've had a positive life on the
ft> life of one poor soul in this world.  Just thought you'd want to know! <vbg>

ft> -f

>> On 28 Sep 2002 at 8:27, Bruce Dayton wrote:
>>
>>   Currently, the digitals really suck at wide
>> > angle, so that would be a place that you would still use your film
>> > camera.
>>

>> --

ft> "The optimist thinks this is the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears
ft> it is true." -J. Robert
ft> Oppenheimer