>> I was wondering if anyone could provide an opinion on this Tamron
>> lens being used as a portrait lens? I'm thinking of taking the
>> plunge on a serious portrait lens (AF) for about $400.

> I presume you're talking about the 90/2.8 1:1 AF Macro? [snip] Its
> a superb all round lens, sharp as a tack, and with excellent Bokeh
> (to my poorly trained eye!).

Now that would be interesting.  I've never tried this particular
macro lens, although I am familiar with quite a few other Pentax and
3rd-party (VS1, AT-X) macro lenses, but I've found that macro lenses
- in general - just don't seem to have very good bokeh (they're
usually a little harsh for their bokeh).

If one really wants a "serious" portrait lens (and I personally do
like sharp portrait lenses, so a fast 100-ish macro lens might
otherwise seem attractive), I wouldn't ordinarily recommend any
macro lens for that purpose.

It seems to me that using a macro lens as a portrait lens is a
compromise (sort of like using a portrait lens with a close-up lens
attachment as a macro lens).

Again, though, I've never tried this particular macro lens...

Fred