Rob,

I have always had split image in my cameras.  When I purchased my first AF
camera (ZX-5) it took me quite a while to get used to a clear screen.  I
have to say that it is with the use of this camera in MF that I have gotten
to like not having the split image and clearer viewfinder.  This preference
has been solidified by using my MZ-S.

I have changed a couple of my LX to the matte screen.  Much easier to use in
lower light, especially with my using the Limited lenses or 50/1.2.  This
also has me compose and focus off center much easier than when I relied on
the split image.  I tried one of my f4 zooms recently and was amazed how
dark the viewfinder was.  I can see how a split image is useful in that
instance.

I have come to rely on my eyesight and am grateful that I can, though I use
glasses for distance.

I have not used a grid screen though.  I can see how it would be useful.
Whenever I want to check the the horizon I just use the top or bottom of the
viewfinder and carefully compose.  Hmmmm, maybe I should try the grid screen
in one of my cameras?  Though it is rare that I go out and do landscapes
exclusively.

Cesar
Panama City, Florida
writing at LGA, NYC