----- Original Message -----
From: "Shaun Canning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 1:49 AM
Subject: RE: Praises and Thank Yous!

> Yeah, the Manfrotto stuff is OK. I really want a carbon fibre version, but
> can't justify the exorbitant price. So, my old '55 will do me for now. It
> has survived everything I have thrown at it for 10 years now. Airport
> baggage handlers, desert, snow, salt water...nothing can kill them. The
only
> thing I would change are the leg locks. Man, those things will kill you if
> you get your fingers in the way....

Well, when I went out and bought the MZ-S, grip, remote, 2 lenses, I also
decided it was time to replace my year old tripod.  It was a VERY cheap
Manfrotto, a piece of junk.  So I looked at the carbon fibres, and I had the
money, but I didn't like them, too light.  I wanted something strong, heavy,
where I can plant it in heavy winds and not worry about it.  The 055CB is
that old?  Interesting.  Anyhow, it's all I want in a tripod, sure light is
nice if you have to carry it far, but I like 'em heavy ;-)  No pain, no
gain.  Of course, that Gitzo ball head while Magnesium, makes it quite a lot
heavier.  I do wish I had not got one with a quick release.  I never use it,
well almost, and when I try, it interferes with my hands and fingers too
much.  I know what you mean about the leg locks.  They're solid though, just
gotta be careful ;-)

Regards,

Brad Dobo