As a responce to my inquiry on the Tokina 28-85mm 1:4 some days ago I received the following information sent to me by a well known Pentaxist, and I would like to share this, as it answers (almost) all questions on this lens

Arnold

....the RMC (f/4) preceded the ATX (f/3.5-4) and was actually better, except that it focuses only as close as 0.7 m; the ATX, closer (to reach 1:3.5). There is no ATX f/4; only the RMC. ...
introduced 1978; was very expensive, equivalent to $1,542 in 1998 dollars. Herb Keppler, Popular Photography, April 1991: "Original 28-85 f/4 Tokina was large, didn't focus close, but was optically excellent and f/4 throughout. Replacement 28-85 f/35-4.5 Tokina was impressively small, light, close focusing, but optically it wasn't as good. Both are now discontinued."
I found a test of the lens in the french magazine ZOOM (they only conducted tests once in a while). They say it's impressive at 28mm, also that astigmatism increases toward 85mm, lowering definition. (They have examples of this: resolution bars from the corner at 3 or 4 focal lenghts). Still "good" at 85mm for a zoom.

A softer lens at 85mm makes a good portrait lens, while a sharp lens at 28mm is good for landscape. Nice combination.

Andre