> A softer lens at 85mm makes a good portrait lens, while a sharp lens
> at 28mm is good for landscape.  Nice combination.

I own this lens and have unscientifically tested it.
It may be "soft" at 85mm IN THE CORNERS but I recall
getting VERY sharp results in the center at 85mm.
If youre going to use it for portraits and want
softness, I dont think your going to get it.

BTW, I feel its best to shoot portraits at maximum
sharpness and use photoshop techniques to create
a soft lens effect. I create a second layer of the
primary image andad BLUR it heavily. I then adjust
opacity with the underlying image and voila! Soft
lens effect but better than in camera with
a soft lens because it's infinitely adjustable.
JCO