From: Mark Roberts [mailto:mark@;robertstech.com]
Sent: Thursday, 14 November 2002 11:34
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Wideangle Dilemmas

"Shaun Canning" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>After weighing up the options (FA 20-35mm f4, Tokina ATX-Pro 20-35mm, FA
>24-90mm, and FA 24mm f2.0), I am 90% decided on the FA 24mm f2.0 lens as my
>wide-angle lens. Not only is it the cheapest of these options, but appears
>to get consistently good reviews from those who have owned or used it.
>Quality control issues seem to be a bit of a theme with the FA20-35mm, and
>the other two are just expensive.
>
>A problem others may have encountered is that I have a 77mm filter system
>fit all of my other Tokina lenses. Will the 77mm filters go all right on
the
>24mm (67mm thread) using a step ring? I am concerned that the 77mm filters
>stepped up on a 67mm thread will be obtrusive and cause vignetting. Also,
>will the hood clear a 77mm filter on step rings or not?
>
>If anybody happens to have or have used this combination of 67mm threaded
>lens and 77mm filters on an FA 24mm f2.0, I would appreciate your comments.
>Mostly because if it doesn't work, I'm not going to buy an entire new 67mm
>filter system for one lens. Even adding a 67mm polariser makes the 77mm
>threaded Tokina more attractive.

I have the FA*24/2.0 and generally use my 77mm filters with it. I just can't
use the lens hood when I have one of these on the lens. I do have a 67mm
polarizer for occasions when I need a polarizer *and* the lens hood, but
this is very rare in practice. Most often I use the 77mm polarizer without
the lens hood or a Cokin-style ND grad, which also precludes the use of a
lens hood. Here's a shot with the 24/2.0 and 2-stop ND grad:
http://www.robertstech.com/temp/7d204610.jpg

Not a big deal in practice. And it's a marvelous lens.

--
Mark Roberts
www.robertstech.com