Gang!

I've heard different.  An unimportant matter, but look at the cost is there
a price difference, I emailed Pentax Canada after I was told here the FA*
was cheaper, they gave me their list prices and they reflected that.
Another, you see a lens, a bunch, you look a the lowest f-stop number, it's
a seller despite what some may admit to.  Many also group the SMCP FA
28-70mm f/4 AL with the SMCP FA 20-35mm f/4 AL.  I have received different
word from Pentax, they are quite apart.  The price between them is vast.  I
got a hood with Pentax on it and a case, you get neither with the other.
Also, weight, despite what some may admit to, heavier the better.  Bigger is
better (unless you really have to travel light, then that's another story)
I know many here that are into digital technology, computers, printers, and
really know their stuff.  But this is a sort of 'old-fashioned' group.  Now,
nothing wrong with that, but it's there.  And really, when it really comes
down to crunch time, what's a star (*) worth?  More money and everything
above.  There's no ED glass, they probably designed and made the two AL
elements at the same time practically (that I cannot back up at all, but a
suspicion).  A star (*) is a Nikon or Canon, etc, basically, all that stuff
above, and a colour change too.  Add a star and you can suck in the big
buyers.  I said, what's a star (*) worth?  I didn't say it's worth nothing.
Just ponder things and don't pull up web tech specs. and all that.

But to the core of the matter.  Which is better?  The SMCP FA 20-35mm f/4 AL
or the FA* 24mm f/2 AL?  I know the general opinion, and I just won't
comment.  Except that any difference in image quality is small, very.

Perhaps related or perhaps not, someone educate me.  Is a SMC the same as an
SMC?  No working backwards, FA vs FA, they using a special SMC but don't
tell you it's a ESCM (Extra)?

Also, concerning the SMCP FA 24-90mm f/3.5-4.5 AL [IF], a Pentax Rep I
talked to said the formula/design/manufacture of this AL lens is a
completely new and higher quality.  Anyone?  Or are Reps just stupid?

My thoughts open for complete debate, no put-downs, insults, but nice civil
talk, chatty, friendly.

Brad