David wrote:

> To drag up an old argument; what kind of hood/filter was protecting the
> lens? :)

I had an expensive Singh-Ray split density ND filter mounted via a Cokin filter
adapter. The camera didn't fall on the front of the lens; the main (first?) impact was
on the right corner of the prism (apart from a three (at least) meter fall, the camera
also had the weight of a 4kg tripod assembly) and on the side frontal part of the
front lens tube. The Coking filter adapter, which fit inside the filter threads on a
82mm filter diameter lens - and hence provide no protection,  was dented and jammed
from the impact on the lens tube. The lens tube did not dent; it has obviously reacted
elasticly. It is made of an incredibly hard type of plastic of which I have until this
accident taken for being metal.
The lens show no damage on the lens tube or glass except that it is cracked just in
front of the aperture ring. The body is cracked everywhere and about 1/3 of the prism
housing is simply missing. Most distressingly is the fact that the body is bent
outwards around the tripod socket at the bottom making me suspect that the internal
chassis is deformed.

Pål