In a message dated 12/1/2002 8:22:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

> Marnie Parker's Displaced Buck did it for me.
> Nice shot, and my vote for "Best Juctstaposition".
>
> How'd you sneak up on 'im?
>
> -Lon

Wow! <blush> <stammer> Thank you!

Well, actually the deer around here aren't too hard to photograph. 3 years ago I moved
into a large retirement community to take care of my elderly mother (I hid from her
neighbors a lot ;-)). And for quite a few years now the deer have been wandering
around freely. Initially, after this place was first built, the deer disappeared. Then
about ten years later they returned (the undeveloped hills in between the condos
were/are their natural habitat). Basically, as more development went on in this county
there were fewer and fewer places for them to retreat to, so they came back. Also
there is naturally no hunting allowed (too dangerous to the residents). Somehow over
time the deer have figured this out and are no longer afraid of humans (in this
immediate area).

However, I also was on my patio, staying in one place. I shot that buck on that day
about eight times and that is the one shot I ended up really liking because his back
was to me. In some of the other photos he is looking out of the corner of his eye at
me, obviously aware I was there. As long as I stayed on the patio, everything was
okay. For him, seeing humans on their back patios is seeing some weird kind of other
animal in *it's* natural habitat. They have learned we stay on our patios and just
look at them. But if I had moved off the patio or closer then he would have bolted.

I've also taken pictures of wild turkeys in my backyard and squirrels. And raccoons at
night. None great shots, I still need a good telephoto lens. The squirrels are the
most skittish and hardest to photograph. I am still trying. Photographing the animals
around here -- that is producing good photographs of the animals around here -- I
foresee as an on going project, since I will be staying here when *I* retire.

Thank you for the compliment. I am very flattered.

Doe aka Marnie Parker