Jeffrey, Jeff,

Off to an excellent start!

Jeffrey, you wrote,

   [Peirce] says:  “This is the only one of the four methods which
   presents any distinction of a right and a wrong way.” (EP, vol. 1, 121)
   What is Peirce saying here?  Let us try to clarify the bases of this
   claim.  In a number of places, including the lectures in Reasoning
   and the Logic of Things, he stresses and develops the idea that the
   scientific method is self-correcting.  I’d like to ask a question
   about the relationship between these two claims.

Peirce means that, of the four methods, the scientific method is the only one whereby inquiry, according to the method's own account, can go wrong as well as right; scientific method alone among them presupposes, or hypothesizes, that there are real things that are what they are independently of the opinion of particular minds or communities - hence the scientific method's fallibilism. According to each of the other three methods' own accounts, inquiry by the method in the account cannot go wrong. On the other hand, scientific method is like the other methods in that, according its own account, inquiry by it can go right - hence, the scientific method's rejection of radical skepticism, a rejection also expressed in the opposition to merely quarrelsome or verbal doubt. The scientific method's supposition of real things, external permanency, to be cognized albeit fallibly, is what gives it hope of inquiry's not floundering in opinion's vicissitudes. The scientific method takes fallibility as well as the possibility of success into account by having inquiry genuinely address genuine doubts. By this it can improve the security of beliefs, sometimes by changing them. It lets such doubts in, instead of leaving them to accrue against overall scientific method itself.

It seems to me that the claim that the inquirer is fallible but has the potential for success is the basis for the scientific method's claim that inquiry should be self-critical and self-corrective. The argument does not seem to me to run in the opposite direction.

Near the end of "The Fixation of Belief" Peirce does frame inquiry in terms of ethical and esthetic issues, even though he did not at that time regard the studies of esthetics and ethics as preceding the study of logic.

http://www.peirce.org/writings/p107.html

   But, above all, let it be considered that what is more wholesome
   than any particular belief is integrity of belief, and that to avoid
   looking into the support of any belief from a fear that it may turn
   out rotten is quite as immoral as it is disadvantageous. The person
   who confesses that there is such a thing as truth, which is
   distinguished from falsehood simply by this, that if acted on it
   should, on full consideration, carry us to the point we aim at and
   not astray, and then, though convinced of this, dares not know the
   truth and seeks to avoid it, is in a sorry state of mind indeed.

   Yes, the other methods do have their merits: a clear logical
   conscience does cost something -- just as any virtue, just as all
   that we cherish, costs us dear. [....]

"...immoral...", "Just as any virtue..." - those words point to ethics.
"...just as all that we cherish..." - those words point to esthetics (in Peirce's sense of 'esthetics').

Now, in ethics there is usually the idea of a struggle, e.g., in virtue ethics, courage is due boldness (or at least due confident behavior) despite pressure to do otherwise; prudence is due caution despite contrary pressure; and so on. In the above-quoted passage, Peirce sees issues of struggle, costs, and trade-offs reaching into issues of one's most general values, i.e., the esthetic level. "The Fixation of Belief" starts with the idea of inquiry as struggle, and this struggle is also a case of ethical right and wrong and of esthetic good and bad, in Peirce's view at that time, even though he didn't yet see the studies of esthetics and ethics as preceding that of logic.

As regards your last paragraph, the scientific method's fallibilism about opinion seems quite thoroughgoing enough to apply to premisses, conclusions, methods, etc., since all premisses, conclusions, and methods that are actually adopted are adopted on the basis of actual opinions. The infallibilism of the other three methods seems likewise.

Best, Ben