Hi Sam, Ben, Jeffrey, et al.  I won't here address Jeffrey's valuable
reconstruction of Smyth's argument and his questions following up thereupon,
though I hope that we'll circle back to those. I write first and foremost to
apologize to Ben and to Sam for raising a question in a flat-footed way that
somehow encouraged each of you to think that you were "missing something."
Perhaps you were, but only in a way that reflects poorly on me, not on y'all.

When I raised my too-compressed question about the role of ethics in
"Fixation," I had in mind commentators who recognize the clear moral language
at the end of the essay, but regard it as a cheat or a change of subject or an
admission that the efficiency argument that dominates the paper has failed. It
sounds to me as if Ben and Sam share my sense that the contrast between moral
considerations and efficiency considerations is often overdrawn in discussions
of "Fixation," and that's all I was trying to indicate the other day when I was
last able to weigh in here. Smyth, as Jeffrey has pointed out in detail, has a
very particular and rather sophisticated way of bringing those considerations
together. I'll try to refresh my memory of his chapter soon. I had something
broader in mind.

There's a common sort of reading of "Fixation" that makes it come out
psychologistic and mechanical in addition to efficiency-centered. Without
pretending to be really fair or nuanced, the picture is that the world
generates itches in us via surprising experiences and Peirce rather lamely
tries to show that only the method of science can provide a really satisfying
scratch. Many problems arise for such a reading, but the main one I have in
mind is the extent to which it misrepresents the efficiency argument. Such a
reading would lead you to expect that what dooms the method of authority, for
instance, is that the powers that be make predictions that shockingly fail and
that this generates genuine doubts in the minds of the subjects of that
authority. But that's not how Peirce's argument goes. He says that *reflection*
about how the method works and about possible sources of disagreement makes the
deliverances of authority seem arbitrary and capricious, and that is how
genuine doubt arises. Reflection provides a kind of widely and cheaply
available experience that is crucial to the efficiency argument, since a belief
can be settled only if it is resistant to reasonably foreseeable disturbing
influences. So the efficiency argument is concerned with efficiency at
generating something normatively ambitious, namely beliefs with which the
believer can be reflectively satisfied. And so something in the neighborhood of
moral considerations was present in the efficiency argument all along, since
Peirce was never just talking about making an itch go away.

There's clearly a lot more to be said about this, but it was about time I got
around to explaining what my original cryptic formulation was trying to
indicate.

Best,

Jeff K.