Well, Søren, I would agree, as implicitly I did with Edwina, that we are here talking about Nature, nothing non-natural. I stand by my comparison. I think you are very much deluded on this issue. I think you should change your terminology, but not necessarily your beliefs. There is no God as found in any religion that I know about, which requires a care for humans, one way or the other -- some Gods don't like humans, others do. There is nothing supernatural that cares about humans, I think; all of these are imaginary "friends" or possibly "enemies". We are here to make the best of things we can. Without extraordinary help. We have to figure it out. so far we are alone in the universe.

John

At 03:06 PM 2014-06-17, Søren Brier wrote:
Dear John

What term other than God would you find better? We are talking about the ultimate reality that holds everything else together and is you most intimate connection to reality and meaning. I find your example of the  Higgs boson is very misleading and a bit offending. Makes me wonder if you have really understood me.

       Best

                         Søren

Fra: John Collier [ mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za]
Sendt: 17. juni 2014 06:38
Til: Edwina Taborsky; Søren Brier; Catherine Legg; Gary Richmond; g...@gnusystems.ca
Cc: peirce-l@list.iupui.edu
Emne: Re: [PEIRCE-L] De Waal seminar chapter 9, section on God, science and religion: text 1

I concur with Edwina; I see no reason to call the real here 'god'. I have taken a similar line in my classes for decades when looking at what Aquinas' Five Ways would imply (Aquinas, of course, does not make Peirce's distinction between existence and reality, so his use of 'existence' is misleading at best).

In fact I find this sort of 'god' talk misleading, in much the same way as calling the Higgs boson 'the God particle' is misleading.

John