> On Jul 30, 2014, at 7:08 PM, Sungchul Ji <s...@rci.rutgers.edu> wrote:
>
> You and Clark, perhaps representing the  views of most Peirceans scholars,
> seem to think that the physics of words is not that significant in discussing
> semiotics, whereas
> I think it is.

I think I’m more of a physicist than a Peircean scholar. <grin> But thanks for
the kind words. My worry is more just getting the physics and ontology correct.
From a Peircean standpoint nearly anything can be used as the mark for a sign
including either processes or stabilities. So the semiotics and the physics
should be kept straight. I do think there are some materialist ontologies
underlying all this which may be incompatible with Peirce’s thought. But then
of course Peirce’s particular ontology of semiotics is one of his more
controversial positions. There are many fine with adopting Peirce’s theory of
signs who grow uneasy with his metaphysics.

I don’t want to comment until I have a chance to read John’s link. And
unfortunately I’m just swamped at work so I don’t know when that will be.

That said, my sense is that you are after semiosis as a process while
thermodynamically at the appropriate scale and simplification a system in
equilibrium isn’t undergoing measurable change and thus can’t be conceived of
as a changing process. If that’s all you’re saying in one sense I can’t
disagree but I’d merely distinguish between one material process of semiotics
and semiotics in general. That’s why I asked about ontology. But again let me
read John’s link before saying more.