Clark wrote:

" . . . my sense is that you are after semiosis             (073114-1)
as a process while thermodynamically at the
appropriate scale and simplification a system
in equilibrium isn’t undergoing measurable change
and thus can’t be conceived of as a changing process.
If that’s all you’re saying in one sense I can’t
disagree but I’d merely distinguish between one
material process of semiotics and semiotics in
general."

Yes.  That is what I am saying, and I too distinguish between material
process of semiotics and semiotics in general.  My working hypothesis is
that

"Physics of words/signs is necessary but                     (073114-2)
not sufficient for their semiosis."

or that

"No equilibrium structures can carry out semiosis             (073114-3)
unless and until transformed into dissipative
structures by being activated by input of free
energy. For example, words on a piece of paper
must be lit before they can convey information."

With all the best.

Sung
Sungchul Ji, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Department of Pharmacology and Toxicology
Ernest Mario School of Pharmacy
Rutgers University
Piscataway, N.J. 08855
732-445-4701