  From: Stephen C. Rose
  To: John Collier
  Cc: Peirce List
  Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2014 2:30 PM
  Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] [biosemiotics:6231] Re: biosemiotics is the basis for

  Seems to me that we do have direct experience no matter how vague it may
seem. Certainly something precedes words. Words do not emerge of their own
accord. I associate a triad with three stages and see the sign as what exists
at every stage but which moves from vagueness (penumbra) through some sort of
index to some form of expression or action. I certainly made no assumptions of
the sort you note. I find that reaction surprising. Sorry!

  @stephencrose