From: John Collier [mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za]
Sent: 3-Aug-14 1:40 PM
To: Peirce List
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] [biosemiotics:6231] Re: biosemiotics is the basis
for

Stephen,

It seems to me if you are aware of something as distinct from something
else, irrespective of if you put a word to it, then it is not a pure first.
If you are not aware of it as distinct from something else, I question
whether you can be aware of it. In other words, I question whether there are
an "bare" firsts. I believe we infer the existence of firsts from a theory
of signs. In other words, we get at them through abstraction, not direct
experience. I don't think think this has any consequences for Peirce's view
that all thought is in signs, but it does put some limits to how far we can
go with phaneroscopy. In any case, what I was saying has nothing to do with
words per se, and would also apply to the dumb animals.

John