Edwina,

You wrote:

Please, Gary, don't move into personal insults. I am not a 'speed reader'
and I object to your characterizing me as such.

Ha! You who never personally insult. . . Anyhow, I AM a speed read, I spent
many years studying to be one (including working with several instructors,
using speed increasing machinery, etc). My point is that quickly reading
something as difficult and potentially useful (even profound) as the
quotations Ben offered is not the same as studying them. That is why I--who
is, as just noted, a proud speed reader--wrote in response to Ben that I
would also *study* those quotations. Anyhow, I did not mean to insult you,
only to prod you in the direction of not making such quick decisions on
Peircean texts you might benefit from studying, or at least, perusing.

I think I have a legitimate set of points - which I explained to Ben, and
to you. Just discuss the points; namely, that I think there is a difference
between the semiosic process of the Three Relations - which move from
object Relation via Representamen mediation Relation to Interpretant
Relation...all of which together make up the SIGN....and the three modal
categories of Firstness, Secondness and Thirdness. To deny that there IS a
semiosic process would be, I think, difficult; after all, these three
Relations have different functions/actions and thus, must 'work with each
other' to produce the whole triadic SIGN.

It seems to me, Edwina, that you immediately translate* everything* into
your own theory without much reflection, witness your rapid fire responses.
This is meant as an observation, not an insult. Meanwhile, I've read and
studied (reread, reflected) on your theory as presented in your WFF paper
and, where I can make sense of what you're saying, I do not agree with you.
So, I've done my homework.

I pointed out to you also, that 'representation' is totally different from
'Representamen'. Therefore, I don't see anything in Peirce that contradicts
what I am saying.

Edwina, you *never* "see anything in Peirce that contradicts" what you're
saying. But the quotations I gave show Peirce as showing how
'representation' and 'representatmen' have much more in common than you're
acknowledging. It seems to me that you pick and choose the quotations you
want to attend to. Please reread *that* quotation from Peirce to discover
that you are totally incorrect in saying that it is Peirce's view that "
'representation' is totally different from 'Representamen' " A dose of
fallibility here might come in handy (and that is not an insult, just a
suggestion).

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*