  From: Libertin, Mary
  To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee
  Sent: Monday, August 25, 2014 8:19 PM
  Subject: [biosemiotics:6529] Re: Abduction,

  Edwina, Ben, Gary, Helmut, Sung and list,

  I appreciate the confusion. Mine is limited to understanding the process of
musement in Peirce's “The Neglected Argument.” I applied the play of musement,
Peirce’s abduction, deduction, induction, to James Joyce’s works in 1983, but I
changed my mind and switched induction and deduction, temporarily, in my
classes on Joyce. Recently I returned to defining musement as abduction,
deduction and induction.

  I have no answer that explains the interaction of the Three Relations and the
Three Categories of Firstness, Secondness, and Thirdness. I think Peirce would
try to consider the purpose behind the application. I also think it worthwhile
to understand it in relation to Peirce’s Existential Graphs, using the Phemic
sheet or sheet of assertion.

  I am thinking of George Spencer-Brown’s Laws of Form, chapter 12, in relation
to this discussion of Peirce. It illustrates the importance of the position of
the observer. I will provide an extensive quote rather than try to paraphrase
him. I do not have the ability to draw circles to copy his figures, but I
provide instructions on how it can be drawn. I believe that it is interesting
even to those not interested in Brown’s ideas. His ideas do we much to Peirce,
who is referenced in Brown’s notes. Here is the passage that puts Peirce into
perspective in my opinion:

  Let us imagine that, instead of writing on the surface of the Earth. Ignoring
rabbit holes, etc, we may take it to be a surface of genus 0. Suppose

  [here Brown  inserts  a figure with one large circle with a small letter a
outside of the circle. Imagine that in the space below. Then inside the large
circle draw two separate smaller circles. The circle on the left is labeled b
and the circle on the right is labeled c. You will see that b and c are in a
circle that is inside another circle. A is outside.]

  To make it readable from another planet, we write it large. Suppose we draw
the outer bracket trough the Equator, and make the brackets containing b and c
follow the coastlines of Australia and the South Island of New Zealand
respectively.

              Above is how the expression will appear from somewhere in the
Northern Hemisphere, say London. But let us travel.

  Arriving at Capetown we see

  [here Brown draws three separate circles containing b, c, and a, respectively]

  Sailing on to Melbourne, we see [end of page 83 in Laws of Form]

  [here there is the original format with two circles inside a larger circle
but the letters are different. A and c are in the left and right circles. B is
outside]

  And proceeding from there to Christchurch, we see

  [here there is the original format but A and b are on the inner circles and C
is outside.]

  These four expressions are distinct and not equivalent. Thus it is evidently
not enough merely to write down an expression, even on a surface of genus 0,
and expect it to be understood. We must also indicate where the observer is
supposed to be standing in relation to the expression. Writing on a plane, the
ambiguity is not apparent because we tend to see the expression from outside of
the outermost  bracket. When it is written on the surface of a sphere, there
may be no means of telling which of the brackets is supposed to be outermost.
In such a case, to make an expression meaningful, we must add to it an indictor
to present a place from which the observer is intended to regard it.
(Spencer-Brown, Laws of Form, 5th English edition, 200883-84)

  I do not mean to offer anything more than a connection between Peirce’s
Existential Graphs and Spencer-Brown’s Laws of Form. Spencer-Brown’s suggestion
concerning knowing the position of the observer and his example of  writing on
a surface of a sphere, and thus, not knowing what is outermost is not offered
as a conclusion or even a position. I see a fascinating relationship.

  I will read your posts grateful for your insight but unable to offer any of
my own.

  Best,
  Mary Libertin