I agree with your comment, Jon, that there is a lack of understanding of 'a relation', a 'triadic relation' and a 'triadic sign relation'. BUT, since many of us who acknowledge the analysis of Peirce are not mathematicians, then surely, there is some way to arrive at such an understanding without also being a mathematician.

Edwina

----- Original Message ----- From: "Jon Awbrey" <jawb...@att.net>
To: "Edwina Taborsky" <tabor...@primus.ca>
Cc: "Gary Fuhrman" <g...@gnusystems.ca>; <biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee>; "Peirce List" <Peirce-L@list.iupui.edu>
Sent: Tuesday, September 02, 2014 10:54 AM
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: Natural Propositions

Re: Edwina Taborsky
At: http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/13840

Edwina,

Setting terminology aside for just a moment, there is at present a general lack of understanding as to what constitutes (1) a relation, (2) a triadic relation, (3) a triadic sign relation. Those subjects are treated by Peirce in his logic of relative terms and the corresponding mathematics of relations, all of which is clear enough in his early papers. Without a grasp of that background,
most of what he writes later is doomed to be mis-interpreted.

Jon

Edwina Taborsky wrote:
Gary F - thanks for this introduction.

I think it's important to clarify that, first, the interactions between the sign and the object; and the sign and the interpretant, are relations - my use of this term has prompted serious criticism on the Peirce list! I continue to use the Peircean term of 'representamen' for this mediate sign...rather than sign. I confine the term 'sign' to the full triad of object-representamen-interpretant.

And I think it's important to acknowledge that there are nine such relations available to semiosis - not just the three of icon, index and symbol - which refer anyway, only to the relation of the representamen to the object and ignore the other two vital semiosic processes of the representamen-in-itself and the relation to the interpretant.

academia: http://independent.academia.edu/JonAwbrey
my word press blog: http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/
inquiry list: http://stderr.org/pipermail/inquiry/
isw: http://intersci.ss.uci.edu/wiki/index.php/JLA
oeiswiki: http://www.oeis.org/wiki/User:Jon_Awbrey
facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/JonnyCache

PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to l...@list.iupui.edu with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .