Dear Ben, lists -

Thanks for good comments. We certainly agree about the centrality of
theorematical reasoning. An important reason for its prominence in Peirce is
his extension of logic to embrace both contexts of discovery and contexts of
justification, to repeat Reichenbach's famous distinction. If you confine
yourself to justification, which has often been recommended in 20 C philosophy,
it is understandable that deduction will appear trivial, for justification is
post hoc, after discovery, and just runs through and controls established
evidence. Moreover, it is often concluded that the context of discovery is only
open to psychological study, not logical investigation.
Otherwise, of course, if you include the context of discovery in logic - here
the selection of the right steps to conduct your deductive proof comes to the
forefront, and in any proof, of course, there is a wide selection of possible
ways to proceed. Only after having found the right sequence of steps - which
may take years or centuries - the air of triviality may appear. This is the
same reason why the issue of novelty or creativity can only be posed in the
context of discovery.
A bit of the same goes for the introduction of abduction in logic. Seen from a
justification p-o-v only, it may seem external to logic how you manage to make
good guesses. If you include discovery, it immediatly becomes a logical issue
how the relation is between ab-de-induction in the investigation process.

PS - Tomorrow, I shall travel to the International Semiotics Conf. in Sofia,
Bulgaria. I do not know when I shall be back online, but I hope to be on the
list again at least by Tuesday -

Best
Frederik

Den 14/09/2014 kl. 22.21 skrev Benjamin Udell
<bud...@nyc.rr.com<mailto:bud...@nyc.rr.com>>
:

Dear Frederik, lists,

I don't see that we disagree on any fundamental points as to, for examples, the
difference between philosophical logic and idioscopic psychology, or the
pertinence of the theorematic-corollarial distinction (which I've brought up on
peirce-l at various times; I also did the all too brief paragraph on it in
"Corollary" at Wikipedia, with footnotes containing links to primary texts).

I certainly don't think in some Kantian-shadowed way that all deduction is
trivial or repetitive. The point of theorematic reasoning is to get far beyond
the truisms, the triviality and repetitiousness, to which, as the reasoner
recognizes, deduction is vulnerable - not destined but vulnerable - by its
formally definitive character of claiming in the conclusion nothing unclaimed
in the premisses. The tautologous 'A is A' is a most important truism, so
people should appreciate it. But usually we want to reach stronger conclusions
than "A horse is a horse". Hence, even the corollarial reasoning that we do use
in practice, for example in the form of a categorical syllogism, ensures a
modicum of novelty in a deduction. To like to learn in deduction is to like to
find in deduction the nontrivial or deep, the surprising and counterintuitive,
etc., even though (oppositely to natural simplicity and Peircean versimilitude)
they contribute initially to doubt of a conclusion and incline us to check our
premisses and reasoning. The premisses 'know' the deductive conclusions but
often we don't, and almost tautologous to that is the most basic reason for it:
Often we don't understand the premisses as well as we think we do. In a
mathematical context, knowing or understanding something involves cognizing it
not mainly as a descript or resistant chunk but instead in its diagrammatic
transformabilities.

I'm pretty firmly convinced, that novelty and nontriviality in a deduction are
not merely psychological even though such aspects of inference seem to resist
being quantified or otherwise mathematized despite varying in seeming degree
and despite echoing some mathematical ideas. The nontriviality (in the sense of
requiring creativity as you said of theorematic reasoning, and not mere
tiresome difficult complication) is not usefully mathematized as relational
properties such as arity, transitivity, etc. in whatever complexity - at least,
not that I've heard of.  The novelty is not usefully quantified as information
in the information-theoretic sense. Peirce insisted that an induction's
verisimilitude in his sense is not a quantifiable probability, and I haven't
heard of any attempt to generally equate plausibility (natural simplicity) of a
hypothesis with optimality or feasibility in the sense of maths of
optimization. (The prizing of verisimilar inductions and plausible abductions
suggests - and I have not thought about it much - a prizing of the more
corollarial over the more theorematic in induction and abduction - or a prizing
of something like that, insofar as corollarial and theorematic are defined as
classes of deduction, not of other modes of inference.)

Thus, much of the quasi- or semi-subjective element seems to come down to this,
that although the prized aspects of nontriviality, novelty, verisimilitude, and
plausibility are associated with specific cenoscopically defined modes of
inference in seeming counterbalance to those modes' 'chalkboard' formal
characters, and although the prized aspects have mathematical echoes, they seem
to lack useful mathematical bases, yet seem variable in degree; and the degree
of a given one of those aspects that one instinctively or, as we often say,
intuitively, attributes to a conclusion seems relative to one's intelligence
and training. '3 x 5 = 15, ergo 15/5 = 3' seems a less trivial deduction to a
schoolchild than to an average educated adult. Maybe the prized aspects really
are 'semi'-something, insofar as they involve relations between, on one hand,
actual reasoners at varying levels of intelligence, training, etc., and, on the
other hand, philosophical logical forms.

In the case of abductive inference about idioscopic nature, lines should be
drawn, like you say about theorematic deduction, between the psychological
process adapting itself to reason, and the logical structure of reasoning. Now,
Peirce calls the most general idioscopic sciences 'nomological' - pertaining to
universal laws and elements that seem simply to hold, we don't yet know why, in
our actual universe. We have not derived them from purely mathematical,
logical, or cenoscopic considerations; for all their universality, there's
still something idiosyncratic about them, they're still idioscopic. And in
idioscopy, there is much detective work to be done about further idiosyncratic
phenomena governed by those laws but not fully understood through them.
Idioscopy is where some evolved attunement comes in particularly handy for
abductive inference's quick leaps, its expeditiousness which is much of its
purpose. Much can be conscious and deliberate in the "larger" abductive
process, but the general formal character of the abductive generation of a
hypothesis is for quick leaps, as opposed to slow, conscious, deliberate
reasoning, and we can note these things at a cenoscopic level of generality, I
think. Peirce said of abduction, that there's no point in specifying more
inference rules than necessary. It's a long-time issue. Some people think, I
believe wrongly, that abductive inference isn't really logical at all, and
shouldn't be studied in logic. Still, in abductive generation of a hypothesis,
particularly about idioscopic nature, there is so much that is vague, dependent
on idioscopic context, etc., that the lines to be drawn may leave cenoscopy
with less to say about abductive inference than it has to say about inductive
inference, especially if we place inferential statistics in cenoscopy.

Best, Ben