Clark, list,

By the way, I think that we should remind or inform readers that many physicists, when they speak of 'realism', mean ideas such as that a particle has an objective, determinate state, even when unmeasured. Peirce's realism does not imply that, so far as I can see, and his realism about absolute chance doesn't clash with the denial of of such unmeasured objective determinate states either.

More responses interleaved.

On 9/28/2014 11:57 PM, Clark Goble wrote:

On Sep 27, 2014, at 8:11 PM, Benjamin Udell wrote:

>> [BU] A realist can and often enough ought to be skeptical about particular models and diagrams as representative of reality. A realist believes not that all generals are real but instead that some generals are real and some generals are figmentitious.

>[CG] Yes, I think this is key. I think Peirceans have more tools at our disposal because generals are broader than mere universals. (Broader in the sense of encompassing more structures)

[BU] I didn't know that Peirce or Peirceans made such a distinction. Do you remember where you've found that? One finds Aristotle translated as using the noun 'universal' to mean a character that belongs, or at least could belong, to more than one thing, and even recent philosophers (E.J. Lowe, for example) call 'universals and particulars' the things that Peirce called 'generals and singulars'. (The ambiguity of 'particular' as referring the indefinite _/something/_ and the determinate _/Socrates/_ is another issue.) Peirce's usage is more congenial to everyday English, wherein the noun 'universal' instead parallels the adjective, and, unqualified, evokes unlimited generality, and the word 'general', unqualified, evokes a generality that is not necessarily universal and uninterrupted. In logic, examples of universal propositions are 'all G is H' and 'all is H'. That's where I've noticed Peirce speaking of the universal, while a general term is, roughly speaking, a non-singular term (leave plurals and polyads out of it for the moment), and thus correlates to the Aristotelian idea of a universal. Anyway, given the way that English works, I'd advise against a terminology in which the general is said to be broader than the universal. Or maybe that was a typo and you meant to say that the universal is broader than the general. I think so, given I what I re-read now in your remarks below.

>>> [CG] If that’s true, even if a realist /appears/ to be appealing to Aristotle’s four causes in practice what they /really/ think is going on is probably something different. That is on a practical basis for most physical theories even realists behave as an instrumentalist. If true, then in what way can Aristotle’s categories really be seen ontologically?

>>> So it’s really a subtle point about realism, foundational ontology and Aristotle I'm making.

>> [BU] I'm not sure that I get you. Skepticism toward particular models, the desire that they 'do the job' (i.e., stand up to evidence) doesn't by itself seem to amount to choosing instrumentalism over realism.

> [CG] I’ll give it an other shot. It’s a subtle point, and one that perhaps isn’t a problem to Peirceans due to our distinctions between generals and universals.

> Skepticism towards model’s reality is a problem simply because most physicists are reducitonist but also don’t think they know what a final theory is like. That means any model has to be reduced to foundational laws/objects to discern what things really are. However since we don’t know what to reduce them to, we’re left not knowing how to conceive of the physics we know in terms of what they actually are.

> Now Peirce has a solution to this with generals. So we could say that Newton’s Laws are true generals but are not universals. They have a limited area of application. But within that application they are true. Now we can quibble about how we’re dealing with errors due to the difference between the general and what a more general law, like general relativity might give. There are obviously some complexities there we can debate. But fundamentally how Peirce approaches common sense as phenomena heavily tested in a limited area is how we approach physics.

> But note that this isn’t really how realists among physicists conceive of it. When they talk about realism they aren’t merely talking about structures that are mind independent but also the grounds of those structures. And those grounds just aren’t known

> (Clearly a realist will accept that Newton’s laws describe mind independent structures for most phenomena though, even if they don’t quite put it into the form of generals the way Peirce might)

> Hope that helps. The issue is really that realism within a reductionist system is what is fundamentally real. So it’s not that the realists are the same as the instrumentalists. Simply that because they don’t know the assumed foundational laws in certain practical ways they act like an instrumentalist.

[BU] You seem to be suggesting that to say that there are real, mind-independent laws, generals, etc., relating things, is to say also that one knows just what the laws, generals, etc., are. But Peirce's realism says that there are real, mind-independent laws, generals, etc., relating things, about which one can learn and some of which easily may yet remain unknown or incompletely known to the given inquirer or group of inquirers. At any rate, the inquirer _/hopes/_ to find such laws etc. and the inquiry logically presupposes that they're there to be found somehow.

>>> [CG] The closest I could find was the more typical (even today) physicts view that we haven’t a clue what energy is beyond it’s place in an equation.

>>> We should hardly find today a man of Kirchhoff’s rank in science saying that we know exactly what energy does but what energy is we do not know in the least. For the answer would be that energy being a term in a dynamical equation, if we know how to apply that equation, we thereby know what energy is, although we may suspect that there is some more fundamental law underlying the laws of motion. (EP 2:239)

>>> Peirce here was using energy and its meaning as an analogy for relations.

>> [BU] I like to think that Peirce would think that the equations tell us a little more now. Energy, in nearly the sense that he understood it, is a time-minus-proper-time quantity in the sense that momentum is a distance (or displacement) quantity. Energy, momementum, mass, can all be expressed in the same units, in a sense they're the same thing in terms of different reference-frame structures. I should add at some point that Peirce didn't think that energy was an cenoscopically philosophical subject, since the conservation of energy requires special experiments to establish.

> [CG] I won’t even try to guess what Peirce would think. I don’t feel I know his thought enough for that. I suspect you’re right in regards to energy being cenoscopic or idioscopic. It seems an experimental reduction rather something worked out philosophically. Whether they are the same thing or not seems a bit trickier. I know that’s one popular interpretation. I’m not sure that being able to transform things entails they are the same thing though. That’s a tricky conversation though. It might be they are all manifestations of something more fundamental though.

[BU] That seems almost to say that maybe space and time aren't really unified, when I thought that that was an even surer thing than the equivalence of mechanical inertia and gravitational mass. Well, I've heard that there are perspectives in which spacetime is emergent, so I guess I don't know.

Best, Ben