Clark, your quotes from CP 3.433-5 jogged my memory and sent me back to
their source, Peirce’s 1896 Monist article “The Regenerated Logic”; and I
found there a good example of a Dicisign, given by Peirce several years
before he invented the term, yet fairly clear about the role of iconicity in
the dicisign. CP 3.433:

When an assertion is made, there really is some speaker, writer, or other
signmaker who delivers it; and he supposes there is, or will be, some
hearer, reader, or other interpreter who will receive it. It may be a
stranger upon a different planet, an æon later; or it may be that very same
man as he will be a second after. In any case, the deliverer makes signals
to the receiver. Some of these signs (or at least one of them) are supposed
to excite in the mind of the receiver familiar images, pictures, or, we
might almost say, dreams — that is, reminiscences of sights, sounds,
feelings, tastes, smells, or other sensations, now quite detached from the
original circumstances of their first occurrence, so that they are free to
be attached to new occasions. The deliverer is able to call up these images
at will (with more or less effort) in his own mind; and he supposes the
receiver can do the same. For instance, tramps have the habit of carrying
bits of chalk and making marks on the fences to indicate the habits of the
people that live there for the benefit of other tramps who may come on
later. If in this way a tramp leaves an assertion that the people are
stingy, he supposes the reader of the signal will have met stingy people
before, and will be able to call up an image of such a person attachable to
a person whose acquaintance he has not yet made. Not only is the outward
significant word or mark a sign, but the image which it is expected to
excite in the mind of the receiver will likewise be a sign — a sign by
resemblance, or, as we say, an icon — of the similar image in the mind of
the deliverer, and through that also a sign of the real quality of the
thing. This icon is called the predicate of the assertion. But instead of a
single icon, or sign by resemblance of a familiar image or “dream,” evocable
at will, there may be a complexus of such icons, forming a composite image
of which the whole is not familiar. But though the whole is not familiar,
yet not only are the parts familiar images, but there will also be a
familiar image of its mode of composition.

Now, the tramp’s chalk mark is NOT an icon of its object, rather it’s a
conventional symbol; but its replication on a particular fence is a
proposition and a dicisign, and functions as such because its placement
there is an index involving an icon, which is the predicate of the
proposition (and thus of the assertion).

I thought this worth quoting because it might be a more perspicuous example
of a nonverbal proposition than the “Gun Country” example. Besides, the last
two sentences anticipate Peirce’s later doctrine (covered in NP 3.7) of the
syntax of the proposition, which is itself iconic in a special way. (So I
changed the subject line here from Chapter 3.5 to 3.6.)

gary f.