At 08:50 AM 10/5/2014, Gary Fuhrman wrote:
Howard, I think this is a good explanation of how the word "symbol" is used in the language of physics. As such, it explains why the language of physics is of limited use in semiotics.

HP: Of course it is of limited use. It only explains why the most efficient and unambiguous communication is by simple coded sequences with bits that are not icons or indices or tokens with semantic content.

GF: In discussing Natural Propositions, we are deploying Peirce's definition of "symbol" as "a sign which is fit to serve as such simply because it will be so interpreted"

HP: Yes, like bit strings. These physical and information theory conditions do not depend on Peirce's theory of signs or naming bits "symbols" or "legisigns". You are free to ignore these laws, but no semiotic practice can avoid them. In any case, we cannot continue this efficient communication without bit sequences.

Howard

"In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice they are not." Einstein