Gary F., Tom, list,

Gary, are you sure you're not confusing denotation with designation or indication? The denotation of 'red' is all red things, or the population of red things; the comprehension (or significance) of 'red' is the quality _/red/ _ and all that that implies. That's why denotation (breadth) and comprehension (depth) vary inversely when the information remains the same. Anyway, that's how I've understood it.

Best, Ben

On 10/4/2014 7:11 PM, Gary Fuhrman wrote:

Tom, I’m afraid you’re adding to the confusion here by talking about “two kinds of denotation.”

In a proposition, the subject denotes objects, while the predicate signifies characters. This is what Peirce is saying in your quote from “Kaina Stoicheia” (MS 517), and it’s the standard terminology in Peircean logic. If we confuse denoting with signifying, we will end up confusing indices with icons, and then we’ll be lost when it comes to the semiotics of dicisigns, which must connect iconic with indexical signs.

gary f.

*From:* Tom Gollier [mailto:tgoll...@gmail.com]
*Sent:* 4-Oct-14 5:55 PM

Evgenii and list,

I find your example interesting in that the two kinds of denotation:

"If a sign, B, only signifies characters that are elements (or the whole) of the meaning of another sign, A, then B is said to be a predicate (or essential part) of A. If a sign, A, only denotes real objects that are a part or the whole of the objects denoted by another sign, B, then A is said to be a subject (or substantial part) of B." (MS 517)

involved with the subject and predicate of a dicisign seem clearer.

1. The analogical denotation of the subject between the shape of the artwork and the shape of the United States. While this analogy is not so problematic here, it can be, and I think the commentators have been too quick to dismiss it, if they even mention it. The casuistry surrounding this denotation has been lost to philosophy, thanks to Pascal, but it still survives, to some extent, in our legal profession, and being the basis of applying the dicisign in the first place, it should not be ignored.

2. The consequential denotation of the predicate, the guns filling the United States. This does involve the "operations" of the dicisign and the way that the guns "fill" the country. As with all works of art, there is some ambiguity there. But more importantly, as denoting the same object as the subject, it involves the truth of the different expressions, they different ways guns fill or characterize the country. The denotation of the predicate seems to depend on the truth or falsity of what is being expressed, perhaps even the extensional correspondence of the two "objects" being denoted.

Tom