Ben, lists,

Is this the copula == if - then quote you had in mind?

The forms A -< B, or A implies B, and A ~-< B, or A does not imply B,
embrace both hypothetical and categorical propositions. Thus, to say that
all men are mortal is the same as to say that if any man possesses any
character whatever then a mortal possesses that character. To say, 'if A,
then B ' is obviously the same as to say that from A, B follows, logically
or extralogically. By thus identifying the relation expressed by the copula
with that of illation, we identify the proposition with the inference, and
the term with the proposition. This identification, by means of which all
that is found true of term, proposition, or inference is at once known to
be true of all three, is a most important engine of reasoning, which we
have gained by beginning with a consideration of the genesis of logic. CP
3.175

Peirce goes on to say in a footnote to this passage:

In consequence of the identification in question, in S -< P, I speak of S
indifferently as subject, antecedent, or premiss, and of P as predicate,
consequent, or conclusion. CP 3.175 Fn P1 p 113

So, now I'm a bit confused. I guess the question that first comes to mind
is: How do you see these logical/terminological distinctions impacting the
argument being made by Frederik in NP?

Best,

Gary

*Gary Richmond*