Howard, Frederik and list

I agree with Ben that Peirce’s philosophy do have something to contribute to
the understanding of Quantum physics. Peirce’s  idea of Firstness, Secondness
and thirdness combined with  synechism and Haecceity can deal with a lot of the
problems in the measurement problem, where the manifest  particles-waves only
have a certain probability or tendency to exist before measured. But still this
tendency can lawfully be described with more precision than any other physical
theory we know. But the actual individual phenomena cannot be explained
further. Only by measuring on huge ensamples of measurement on specific
preparations can the law be induced. This haecceity of the individual measured
particle Peirce would identified as pure Secondness.

What Scotus calls the haecceities of things, the hereness and nowness of them,
are indeed ultimate. Why this which is here is such as it is; how, for
instance, if it happens to be a grain of sand, it came to be so small and so
hard, we can ask; we can also ask how it got carried here; but the explanation
in this case merely carries us back to the fact that it was once in some other
place, where similar things might naturally be expected to be. Why IT,
independently of its general characters, comes to have any definite place in
the world is not a question to be asked; it is simply an ultimate fact.
 (CP 1.405)
Thus, Peirce’s view of haecceities as being unexplainable as singular events is
thus close to the modern understanding of quantum events. Quantum physics
cannot deduce the singular event, but can only make a probability model from
thousands of them, but with great precision! This would be Thirdness in
Peirce’s paradigm. But furthermore  in modern quantum physics, there is an
undetermined spontaneity of the vacuum filed producing these single event that
are not explainable in themselves from a scientific point of view. Quantum
mechanics thereby breaks with classical deterministic mechanicism in a way
compatible with Peirce’s philosophy. Thus we can view the particle-wave as a
token controlled by a type (a specific field like the electron or gluon field
that each has definite general qualities).

  Best
                           Søren