Thanks for this summary, Doug! (I’m including your whole post below, so the
biosemiotics list can see it as well as the Peirce list.)

About the case of the Danish TV journalist — as Frederik points out, it wasn’t
really “fraudulent reporting”, in a sense that what the reporter said was
actually true: the troops really were leaving Iraq at the time, although the
accompanying footage showed them entering a Danish military camp rather than
leaving it. But the example shows how it is possible for a combination of film
and voice-over narrative to lie, and we can probably all think of examples
where this has been done on TV news.

Another example occurred to me which shows that a film sequence can lie even
without the voice-over narrative. Some years ago, in one of the BBC
documentaries narrated by David Attenborough, there was a sequence where we see
a polar bear entering her den, and then a polar bear giving birth. There was a
voice-over narrative referring to the bear as “she”, but even without that, a
viewer would make the unconscious inference that it was the same mother bear
both inside and outside the den (especially when we later see bear and cub
emerging from the den in spring; Frederik’s footnote on p. 187 explains this
unconscious inference process that film sequences are designed to prompt in the
viewer.) But actually the birthing sequence was shot in a zoo, and of course it
was not the same bear we see in the wild.

Again, I see nothing “fraudulent” here, because the accuracy of the film’s
depiction of the life of a generic polar bear was not undermined by the
implicit assumption that the two juxtaposed sequences showed a single
individual bear. But it does show that film viewing involves an inference
process which can be used to lie; and this is important because only a sign
capable of lying is capable of telling the truth, as dicisigns can do.

gary f.