Dear Gary, Doug,  lists,

I do think the upshot of taking "thinking about thinking" and hypostatic
abstraction as human privileges must be that non-human animals are (largely)
incapable of second-order logic, both in the standard sense of quantifying over
predicates, but also in the more cognitive sense of being able to form
abstractions based on already established thought content. I do not know about
trained parrots and chimps which are known to be brought to surprising semiotic
abilities. Cognitive ethology seems to be in an exciting period finding more
and more  complex behaviours in many species so I would not categorically
preclude non-humanoids from any aspect of "thinking about thinking" - rather,
I'd take it as an empirical hypothesis that much human activity is highly
dependent upon it while most non-human activity does not depend upon it.

The "German" senses of "objective" and "subjective" seem to derive to a large
degree from Kant, and it is true Peirce strives not to use them. Instead, he
uses "subject" in the logical sense involved in Dicisigns - and also in the
related common-sense use of meaning "the subject matter", the focus of
discussion - while, as you know, he uses "object" about that which is referred
to by a "subject". I think Doug is right in bringing it up here in connection
to the Peirce-Clark Extended Mind discussion, for one of the main reasons I
think Peirce wishes to avoid the German subject-object dichotomy is in order to
avoid subjective idealism - you know: ideas are figments of the psyche which
are projected onto an outside object thereby "covered" by those projections and
hence unknowable in itself. This is why Peirce's notion of "mind" tends to
confuse many - it is not something in the head - it refers to structures of
entities, no matter whether those structures are in the world or in the head.
In a certain sense it is a version of objective idealism - which, of course,
Peirce interprets scientifically - objective ideas being the subject of
science, not only of metaphysical speculation.

Best

Den 14/12/2014 kl. 14.11 skrev Gary Fuhrman