Thanks Gary R. for pointing out that our author will shortly address the
trifurcation of icons into images/diagrams/metaphors beginning on p. 207 of
section 8.2. I look forward to our forthcoming conversation of operational
iconicity.

7.4 Extended Dicisigns

Given the human (psychological vs. intellectual?) limitation for processing
complex diagrams, externally stored representations, or extended Dicisigns,
serve as “supplements to the complexity of controllable, imagined imagery
in individuals” (NP, 191) providing externally stored information as well
as various forms of external processing. Examples abound. Stjernfelt
suggests that extended Dicisigns make possible communal diagrammatic
reasoning, which I cannot but help relate to Peirce's notion of Community
of Inquiry. This section goes on to make a compelling case—not only that we
might we call Peirce an externalist philosopher of mind *avant la lettre—*but
further that a cross-pollination of Peirce's semeiotic and philosophy of
mind with Clark's Extended Mind Hypothesis might yield an even more
radicalized version of the latter.

Reading the apt quotations on top of page 192, few would doubt that for
both Peirce and Clark: cognitive processes “ain't (all) in the head.” Apart
from work directly concerned with manipulation of external diagrams,
Clark's notion of 'active sensing', his recognition that perception's
generalizing tendency makes it 'systematically insensitive' to detail, and
the Principle of Ecology Assembly emphasizing “a mixed-media approach to
reasoning with little regard to the internal-external boundary” (NP, 193)
all exhibit obvious similarities to implications of the Dicisign doctrine
so far discussed.

The blurring of the internal/external distinction resulting from the
variability of interrelationships between perception/cognition/action in
both thinkers favors a cognitive ecumenicism which naturally leads to their
shared cognitive eclecticism. The multiple realizability of propositions
does appear aligned with the multiple realizability of the same cognitive
task. Those who favor an embodied mind hypothesis run up against the
criticism that they mistakenly restrict human thought and reason
“inextricably and nontrivially” (Clark, 204) to the details of human form.
Epistemological commitments to embodied minds, or overly sharp bifurcations
between mind and environment, draw us dangerously close to a forms of
psychologism/nominalism, whereas the multiple realizability of cognitive
forms evades being a vicious form of relativism given the pluralistic,
self-correcting, adaptive nature of inquiry.

Peirce's pregnant remark from the *Prolegomena *that “there can be no
isolated sign” suggests his theory of unlimited semiosis might eventually
serve cosmological, metaphysical, and theological speculations given that
Dicisigns and Arguments could not exist without a dialogical Quasi-Mind
whose plasticity, multiplicity, and inherent potentiality make sharp
delimitations of regions of mental activity a misguided endeavor. The
author briefly mentions the parallelism between Hypostatic Abstraction
(“making second-order objects out of properties, relations, facts,
etc—making it possible to address, analyze, control, and criticize them as
if they were ordinary first order objects” (NP, 194/ c.f. Section 6.12) and
Clark's recognition that 'thinking about thinking' might be a distinctly
human activity. Peirce's contention that self-control originating in the
very capacity of (aesthestic?) hypostatic abstraction can also be neatly
grafted onto Clark's remarks on the 'ability to associate concrete tokens
with abstract relations', while we will find in section 7.5 that Peirce
sees more clearly than Clark how these processes of second-order cognitive
dynamics are far from *arbitrary* maneuvers.

Please allow me a few unrelated questions. If anyone can elaborate on how
Peirce used the terms “subjective” and “objective” differently from the
'varieties of German senses', I am confused about how the quotation from
the letter to Lady Welby on p. 194 makes his approach an original one. Are
non-human animals not capable of second-order logic? How is Quasi-Mind
different from Mind? Finally, I wonder if anyone sees possible connections
between this section and Hilary Putnam's blurring of the fact/value
dichotomy. I have one more posting to close out Chapter 7 which I will
hopefully send out tomorrow.

Yours,

Doug