Mary, Gary F.,

Gary F., thanks for changing the subject title. I had renamed it 'Contradictories, Contraries [etc]' and then it unexpectedly veered back toward the original subject, I should have changed the title when that happened.

Mary, you did indeed write the starting post in this subthread. (You sent it only to the biosemiotics list, but Gary Richmond forwarded it peirce-l (I provide these links so everybody can peruse)
(gmane) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15394
(IUPUI) https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2015-01/msg00102.html
and replied to it:
(gmane) http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15404
(IUPUI) https://list.iupui.edu/sympa/arc/peirce-l/2015-01/msg00112.html
and your text (originally in reply to Jeffrey Brian Downard) follows Gary R.'s reply.)

I wasn't active in the subthread till a bit later but I did read your original post. As regards the questions that you posed there:

*1.* From your original post:

    > For example I, like many readers, relate the dicisign overall as
   Stjernfelt has presented it to his far-reaching cpt. 8: "Operational
   and Optimal Iconicity in Peirce¹s Diagrammatology.² How do the two
   kinds of iconicity (chapter 8) Optimal and Operational Icons), make
   sense when I relate them to or place them in dialogue with the
   dynamic and immediate objects of the index?  I wonder, does a
   dicisign posit or ³say² that there exists (may exist, hypothetically
   exists) a written or spoken proposition SRO (Subject Relation
   Object)? Š that the whole proposition (seen completed after the fact
   or seen hypothetically completed before the fact of writing or
   utterance or action) is made up of two parts? To distinguish the
   object as optimal and operational in relation to the dicisign, I
   consider the index as it operates in an icon and the index as it
   operates as an index. (The node between the two, the index and icon,
   as they reach out and for that moment exist. Is Stjernfelt saying,
   in other words, that there (1) exists an object, undistributed in
   relation to the subject and that there (2) exists an object of this
   specific subject under discussion that is distributed (that are
   under discussion,that are being thought, that are coming into a
   realer or more iconic existence)? What and who have or will have
   placed these in discussion may be the Grapheus and the Graphist, the
   realist and the doubter, but the Universe.
   [End quote]

I confess that I didn't understand it! I admit that I was feeling kind of obtuse. I was hoping that others' subsequent discussion would clarify it.

*2.* From your original post:

    > I find some loose ends in my thinking about Peirce, amplified
   somewhat by NP. Is the recto/verso Sheet of Discourse, the ³leaf²
   pointed to by Stjernfelt, boundless, and in what dimension? I always
   imagine it as a mobius strip when the sign is in process, but the
   boundaries of the Universe of Discourse that are discussed by
   linguists and others are raised. Just now I continue with the leaf
   (sheet of assertion) analogy and consider the node of life at the
   stem as it grows. I will continue to think through these icons.
   [End qote]

I thought about the Mobius strip idea but I stopped because I was uncertain about whether existential graphs have chirality, but I think that they don't, and anyway it doesn't matter (I was wondering about a graph that locally seems on the verso, what happens to it when one moves it around the Mobius strip to what locally seems the recto). Shaping a sheet into a Mobius strip makes it all recto and no verso, as Gary F. said, and eliminates the ability to negate a graph. I think Peirce somewhere talks about logic without negation. Anyway it can have only particular affirmatives and conjunctive compounds of particular affirmatives, a one-sided logic so the Mobius strip is actually perfect for it. If you want it to be unbounded, the surface of a Klein bottle would do that https://people.math.osu.edu/fiedorowicz.1/math655/Klein2.html . Anyway I guessed that you were trying to think of a way for there to be a referential relation between a recto graph and a verso 'possibility' graph. I remember once trying to think of some topological trick for that.

Best, Ben

On 1/20/2015 10:36 AM, Gary Fuhrman wrote:

Mary,

The subject line got truncated in your post so I made up a new and shorter one to continue the thread.

I can only speak for myself — I read your post carefully more than once, but left it to others to reply to it (which Gary R had already done, actually) because I had no answers to the questions you raised in it. I couldn't make a connection between your suggestion of “would-be hypothetical situations, such as the mobius strip” and Peirce's idea of using the verso of the sheet of assertion as the area inside a cut. In fact I still don't see a connection. A mobius strip, being a bounded surface with only one side, doesn't have a verso, and I don't see how it relates to Peirce's “discovery” that the verso of the sheet represents “a kind of possibility” and not just the negation of the graph within the cut. I also couldn't get a handle on your question “Would boundedness exist in a mobius strip?” or its relevance to the issue we’ve been discussing yesterday and today.

Maybe it’s just my obtuseness, but you’ll need to explain what you were driving at before I can see its relevance to Jeff’s post that I did reply to. (I assume you want to be given credit for more than just mentioning the “verso” in your post, but I don’t yet see what else in it anticipates Jeff’s post).

gary f.