Hi Sung,

Returning to my first comment in response to Mary:  we may be moved by
different aims here.  Yours seems to be the aim of developing your own ideas.
Mine are to try and understand Peirce's questions and methods for answering
them first--and then to draw on that effort for the purposes of trying to work
out some of my own lines of inquiry using his insights about the methods that
are available to us when and if the need arises.  For Peirce, the key step in
all inquiries is to find a question that is ripe for the picking.  Developing
answers with no clear questions in hand may defeat the aims of real inquiry.

So, setting to the side my own priorities, here are two quick responses to your
questions.

1)  I don't have any clear sense of what the point is of trying to set up the
relations of "complementarity" in the way that your doing it.

2)  No.  The reversal of the twist (e.g, from a right handed screw to a left),
does not have an effect on the arguments used by Euclid, Lobachevsky and
Riemann to draw out the implications of the different assumptions that are
involved in the possible answers that might be given to a question about how
many straight lines can be drawn through a point that do not intersect with a
given straight line.

Questions about the philosophical implications of the direction of the twist in
different kinds of relations is itself an interesting one to ponder, and Peirce
seems to suggest at times that crystals should be thought of as exhibiting
sign-like relations (contrary to what Frederik argues) because of this
difference in the direction of their twists.  Having said this, note that
Peirce thinks the difference between the direction of the twists doesn't give
rise to issues about the relation of signs to quasi-minds when thought of from
the point of view of a chemist--but he suggests that they might when thought of
from the point of view of the crystallographer.  While he does explore this
idea in places, he suggests elsewhere that can't find any clear examples of
genuine sign relations outside of living or intelligent systems.

Having said that, it does raise the question of whether or not crystals, when
thought of from the point of view of the crystallographer--show some signs of
life.  From this point of view, I am supposing that we are no longer thinking
about the chemical relations that hold in crystals.  Rather, the question is
one of how crystals might interact with other things--such as light.  Or, more
to the point, the direction of the twist in things like protein molecules might
make a different when it comes to a biochemical system's ability to maintain
various kinds of enzyme mediated reactions--at least for the purposes of that
system's ability to maintain its homeostasis, growth or reproduction.  Peirce
might be making the point that, from the chemists point of view, there is no
attempt to answer questions of these biological sorts.  Rather, it is a matter
of answer questions about chemical rates of reactions and how long they will
last.

--Jeff

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor