At 10:11 PM 1/25/2015, Jeffrey Brian Downard wrote:

I think Peirce has his finger on a nice way of framing the key question when he says: "In short, the problem of how genuine triadic relationships first arose in the world is a better, because more definite, formulation of the problem of how life first came about; and no explanation has ever been offered except that of pure chance, which we must suspect to be no explanation, owing to the suspicion that pure chance may itself be a vital phenomenon."

Thank you, Jeffrey, for that fascinating quote. Of course the origin is still a mystery, but I think Peirce would have been excited by von <http://web.stanford.edu/class/cs379c/archive/2012/suggested_reading_list/supplements/documents/Neumann1966.pdf>Neumann's theory self-replication (see pp. 81-87) which I believe is the first logically and empirically supported triadic relation, and it requires symbolic description.

Howard

Jeff Downard
Associate Professor
Department of Philosophy
NAU
(o) 523-8354
From: Howard Pattee [hpat...@roadrunner.com]
Sent: Sunday, January 25, 2015 7:54 PM
To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee; Sungchul Ji; PEIRCE-L; biosemiotics
Subject: [biosemiotics:7995] Re: NP 8.3 and the

At 09:02 PM 1/25/2015, Jeffrey Brian Downard wrote:

>While he [Peirce] does explore this idea in places, he suggests
>elsewhere that can't find any clear examples of genuine sign
>relations outside of living or intelligent systems.

I believe Frederik says this, but where does Peirce say this?

Howard

PEIRCE-L subscribers: Click on "Reply List" or "Reply All" to REPLY ON PEIRCE-L to this message. PEIRCE-L posts should go to peirce-L@list.iupui.edu . To UNSUBSCRIBE, send a message not to PEIRCE-L but to l...@list.iupui.edu with the line "UNSubscribe PEIRCE-L" in the BODY of the message. More at http://www.cspeirce.com/peirce-l/peirce-l.htm .