At 14:48:09 -0500, 31 Jan 2015, Gary Fuhrman wrote:

Evidently you, like John, move mainly in professional circles where the normal use of “determine” implies “determinism”. But if you want to understand what Peirce is saying ­ or any writer who was extremely scupulous in his use of words and a leading expert on their usage by others ­ then you can’t rule out a usage which differs from the one that happens to suit your habits. Especially when your accustomed usage would not make sense in the contexts where Peirce used the term ­ such as his definitions of “sign”.

HP: You are missing my point. I am not ruling out usages or suiting my habits. I am distinguishing essential and different usages. My point does not depend on how Peirce or Oxford defines determinism. I am making a necessary epistemic distinction between two types of determinism: (1) models of determinism (as in Newton's Laws) and (2) the determinism of models as in creative abduction.

Here is what I said: "I think John is correct. I can say that according to the (symbolically expressed) law of gravity this law predicts that a rock is determined to fall. I cannot correctly say that the above expression of the law of gravity is determined. Like all creative models it was discovered using abduction."

To elaborate, as a realist physicist (e.g., Einstein) I may believe that Nature has strictly deterministic laws, or as a quantum physicist (e.g., Born) I may believe that Nature determines only probabilistic laws. Unfortunately, we only have symbolic models approximating Natures's laws; but in both cases we have faith that Nature's type of determinism, whatever it is, exists independent of our models.

My point is that we cannot equate the determinism of Nature with the conceptual determinism of how the symbolic laws come about. That would be confusing the map from the territory. As many physicists have pointed out, without respecting this epistemic cut, none of our models would make sense.

Howard