From: Gary Fuhrman [mailto:g...@gnusystems.ca]
Sent: January 31, 2015 7:11 PM
To: 'Peirce Discussion Forum'; biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee
Subject: RE: [PEIRCE-L] FW: [biosemiotics:8047] Re: Triadic Relations

John, OK, I think this gets us to the heart of the disagreement. You say that
“Peircean objects are often abstractions that we can only grasp through signs.
This is not the case, I think, with gravity.” I think differently.

Like Peirce, I think that all cognition is through signs — more specifically,
through those copulations of icons and indices which Peirce called Dicisigns,
or “natural propositions” as Frederik Stjernfelt calls them. All facts are
abstractions drawn from a vastly complex and multidimensional reality, and are
ipso facto signs. “Gravity” too is a sign, and an abstraction, but the dynamic
object of a proposition in which that word plays a necessary part is no
abstraction; it’s a real general that we can only grasp through such signs. All
scientific inquiry is semiotic; experiments too are signs, questions put to
nature. I doubt that we can grasp the reality of gravitation, or any other type
of phenomenon, without experiments of some kind.

You may be right about “the usual notion of determining in both logic and
science.” I’m not expert enough in those fields to say, and maybe the
dictionaries I cited are wrong. But it’s clear from the above that your usage
habits also differ from mine with respect to the words “object” and “sign”.
Polyversity strikes again! All I can say is that the usage habits I’ve acquired
under the influence of Peirce make sense to me, and serve my communicative
purposes well enough that I’m not about to abandon them. I suppose you can say
the same of your own usage habits, acquired under other influences. And I can’t
argue with that.

gary f.

} A path is made by people walking on it; things are so because they are called
so. [Chuangtse 2] {
www.gnusystems.ca/gnoxic.htm<http://www.gnusystems.ca/gnoxic.htm> }{ gnoxics