Jon,list.

I have tried to construct a working  tree until we get to the form "a:a:b"
which is a more challenging issue than some, I think. I remember from the NLC
(1867) a sort of struggle going on with "mere agreement" and concurrence. I was
struck there that "this" or "that" -----is black turned into a nightmare.

         terms
              /
non-relative                       relative
                           /               /
               simple                non-simple So,1)  "this is black"  (b)
only simple non-relative 2)  "this stove is black  (s,b)  3)  "this black stove
is black "  (b,b,s)   * trouble spot * * I believe in NLC 1867 Peirce
introduced an abstract property "blackness" possessed by black things   In sec
4 AOL 1880 Peirce says that singular reference is maintained. My feeling is
that all of these are non-relatives compounded by external operations. I think
of these as compound non-relatives because the operations are external. You
could symbolize Boole : sb = SB1 + SB2 + SB3.....etc.  "this" or "that" black
stove.  You don't need to bring in property identity, redundancy, or
essentialism.   You could, though.  Why not?  For instance, you could have
logical sums for { Sn.. } xor { Bn.. } xor { SBn.. }  such that sosmething that
is a black stove cannot be black or a stove.  Jim W > Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015
23:02:17 -0500