Let's see if I can do better :-)

1. and 2. I understand your point. However, I have argued that the elder
Peirce's "re-conceive" religion as science. It is certainly the case that
Comte rails against religion but Benjamin says "wait" science needs to
explain *everything* as one universe including the many of the things
traditionally considered by religion (esp. "the mind," "spirituality," and
"social order"), so obviously much can go but let's not throw the baby out
with the bathwater. Science as a religion is certainly a re-conception in
this sense since it brings in a new epistemology. This seems to me to be
more desirable than actually throwing the baby out (per modern atheism).

3. Benjamin Peirce saw "universal will" as a manifest force, and all force
as having a "spiritual" source. So his view was, as I said earlier, one of
"general covariance" (although the term was not yet invented) rather like
gravitation and matter in GR - and he took this view from his own
experience. I think this is correct in essence but I see the basis as
characterized in a unity of bound shapes in structure (flexible closed
structure). It (feeling) is not a distinct force in the sense of
electro-magnetism or gravitation (that are one with it) sense and response
are a binding in structure that enables its unified action and across
structure decisions (also cell division). There is no "outside" force.

5. I understand Charles Peirce to say that his "spontaneity" is the product
of no precedence, no law. I am suggesting simply that he may have been
misread and that he means this only in the context of fallibility (i.e.,
discovery) - So, a black swan, for example, would be a spontaneous event,
"fresh," and "new" as he says. I understand that many, you and Smolin
included, have interpreted Peirce to speak in existential terms on this
matter - but for me this is less clear.

I much prefer this interpretation then Charles is redeemed in my eyes - but
while I have found much that is suggestive of it, I have not found anything
definitive. So, if you say it is existential, I'll accept that, but this
necessarily means that science is undermined.

Regards,
Steven