Sent: Friday, March 20, 2015 10:40 AM
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: A System Of Analytic Mechanics

SB:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15878
JA:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15879
SB:http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.science.philosophy.peirce/15880

Søren, List,

Oh, of course, it was nice to be reminded, and that inspired me
to scan through a sample of what had been said before, plus I'm
really fond of that particular quote I featured on my blog, and
I thought the glancing review from NPR was kind of interesting:

http://inquiryintoinquiry.com/2013/06/01/wherefore-aught/
http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2013/05/02/180037757/is-time-real

To my way of thinking, the whole thing is really a pseudo-issue.
Saying that "the laws of physics evolve" means nothing more than
"the laws of physics are not what we used to think they were",
which historically speaking is just the usual case.

To say that "the laws of physics evolve" is just to say
that the laws of physics we know contain parameters that
we used to believe were constants but now we believe are
variables, and all that does is initiate an inquiry into
the laws that rule the time evolution of those variables.
Which is again just another variation on the usual theme.
The form of inquiry itself persists.

Regards,

Jon