Here's Smolin, quoted from his Edge.org interview, on the same topic:
*http://edge.org/conversation/think-about-nature
<http://edge.org/conversation/think-about-nature>*

 Now some of this is not new. The American philosopher, Charles Sanders
Peirce, identified this issue that I’ve just mentioned in the late 19th
century. However, his thinking has not influenced most physicists. Indeed,
I was thinking about laws evolving before I read Charles Sanders Peirce.
But something that he said encapsulates what I think is a very important
conclusion that I came to through a painful route.
<http://edge.org/conversation/think-about-nature>And other people have more
recently come to it, which is that the only way to explain how the laws of
nature might have been selected is if there’s a dynamical process by which
laws can change and evolve in time. And so I’ve been searching to try to
identify and make hypotheses about that process where the laws must have
changed and evolved in time because the situation we’re in is: Either we
become kind of mystics, well, just those are the laws full stop, or we have
to explain the laws. And if we want to explain the laws, there needs to be
some history, some process of evolution, some dynamics by which laws change.

This is for some people a very surprising idea and it still is a surprising
idea in spite of the fact that I’ve been thinking about it since the late
80′s, but if you look back, there are precedents: Dirac, you can find in
his writings, a place where Dirac says the laws must have been different
earlier in the universe than now; they must have changed. Even Feynman has
… I found a video online where Feynman has a great way…and I wish I could
do a Feynman Brooklyn accent, it sort of goes: “Here are the laws we say;
here are the laws, but how do they get to be that way in time? Maybe
physics really has a historical component. ” Because you see, he’s saying
physics is different from the other subjects. There is no historical
component to physics as there is to biology, genealogy, astrophysics, and
so forth. But Feynman ends up saying, “Maybe there is a historical
component.” And then in the conversation his interviewer says, “But how do
you do it?” And Feynman goes, “Oh, no, it’s much too hard, I can’t think
about that.”

[image: Gary Richmond]

*Gary Richmond*
*Philosophy and Critical Thinking*