Gary, list:

First- the quotes you provided to the list from Peirce on evolution, (6.13-14),
and from Smolin are excellent. I think they make clear the fact that the
universe has a history. That's important; it didn't just emerge 'fully clothed'
so to speak; it has a history.

I also agree with John Collier that before the universe began- there was 'no
time'. There was nothing, so I don't know if Jerry Chandler's questions can be
answered outside of the smoke of the seminar room.

Gary, you wrote:
"Even if 'variables varying over time' has little (or almost nothing) to do
with evolutionary change, it seems strange to say that adaptive evolution has
"nothing to do with time" given that all, for one, semiosic processes involve
time. Or am I missing something here?"

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  What I was trying to say that 'time' in itself, by
itself, is not a cause-of-change. That is, just because a species continues and
exists as that species through the passage of time, does not mean that this
passage of time...itself causes any changes in the rules-of-organization in the
species.  What causes the species to change, adapt, evolve in its rules...is
informational networking with other matter in its envt, that will require
adaptation in the species in order to exist in that envt. Sure, time passes
during this adaptive phase, but time itself doesn't cause those adaptive
changes.

I hope that is clearer.

Edwina