From: stevenzen...@gmail.com <stevenzen...@gmail.com> on behalf of Steven
Ericsson-Zenith <ste...@iase.us>
Sent: 01 April 2015 23:03
To: John Collier
Cc: Steven Ericsson-Zenith; peirce-l@list.iupui.edu; biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] RE: [biosemiotics:8162] Re: Article on origina of the
universe

Perhaps it is not I that will not accept (the ad hominem) of "anything that
does not fit my conceptions?"

You are making unjustified accusations as far as I can see - and this is not
merely because my own opinions differ from the mainstream of physics on
information theory. I am certainly able to understand an argument even if I
disagree with it. In fact, I see nothing in what you have said to actually
disagree with, except in the matter of the ideal.

And so we, you and I, are an example here.

Information, as you said, is necessary (or base covariant) distinctions,
observable/measurable in behavior. Shannon's mathematics is informative, it
highlights the nature of distinctions and the quantifiable limits of their
apprehension (their transmission).

For me, at least, "communication" is an idea and not something that actually
happens. It is something that we speak about. In apprehension, Shannon's work
is informative in the above way, it tells us more about what is happening. It
informs us concerning the nature of information and it is for this reason that
it is the corner stone of modern information theory.

In information theory it is important to understand the separation of ideas:
i.e., the message from the messenger.

Regards,
Steven

On Wed, Apr 1, 2015 at 1:35 PM, John Collier