Cathy, Jeff, lists,

Jeff has taken an interesting approach to trying to meet the issue, but I
will try my own take here.

Cathy, I note that you specify quantifying the information in a
proposition, although this is not the point of the OLEC--that paper has to
do with the information of a symbol, which is something quite different.
Yes, Peirce says that we can also apply information to propositions and to
arguments. But information will not apply to propositions and arguments in
the same way that it does to symbols. (Moreover, I'm not sure it's right to
think of the information as being "in" a symbol, proposition, or argument.)

In the case of the symbol, the information has to do with the sum of
propositions in which it appears as either subject or predicate. It's true
that quantifying every exact instance can be tedious. But in a scientific
inquiry, in which one is conducting experiments and publishing a report of
the results, one should hope that this quantifying is exactly what is being
accomplished and communicated to future inquiry.

As for your objection to applying a metric that brings in a linear scale
from less to more information: Peirce is attempting to do away with the
thinking that the logical quantities are always inversely proportioned, and
proposes instead that a symbol can grow in overall determination. If this
were not possible, we can not talk about learning and the development of
symbols in inquiry. When we treat of the growth of the symbol, this growth
can be viewed both in terms of the objects to which it applies and in terms
of the qualities or characters that apply to it. One or the other
increases. We don't have some outside point of view to decide how close we
are to a perfect state of information, or what Peirce refers to as the
substantial depth and breadth of a symbol. But we can still count the
objects, and we can still enumerate and weigh the characters, and the
amount of objects might increase, and the characters which are deemed
applicable might increase too. I confess I do not see why you find this
objectionable just because we can't quantify in a way that tells just how
close we are to total information.

I notice that your quotes show that counting logical depth doesn't work
out, because qualities or characters (or possibilities, which are what
qualities as Firsts are from the modal point of view) can't be counted. I
myself said this in previous posting on this thread. But Peirce supposes
that they can be weighed instead, which means there is some kind of
measuring of depth as a quantity.

-- Franklin