Frederik, List:

>From the perspective of the chemical sciences, I find your strong conclusions
>to be questionable.

More specifically, consider CSP's letter to Lady Welby, p. 7, Oct. 12, 1904.
and his clear distinction between Firstness and Secondness.

"Secondness is that mode of being of that which is such as it is, without
respect to a second but regardless of any third."

In this sentence, the critical rhetoric terms are the words Secondness and the
second.  The direct implication of this sentence is that the two-ness of
Secondness is indicative of a difference - the difference that makes a
difference in the terminology of Bateson.

As a sentential proposition, this sentence does NOT infer AN ORDER RELATIONSHIP
 between Firstness and Secondness and hence seems to differ from your strong
statements about compositionality w.r.t semiotics and metaphysics.  Indeed, CSP
introduces the concept of thirdness as the third part of his categorization.

As I read your interpretation, it seems that your image introduces a portion of
thirdness into secondness.
>From my perspective, this mis-reading of the the basic logical meaning of
>these categories is exceedingly common among philosophers who seek to
>understand CSP.

In the context of this letter, Secondness is that which today is called an
independent function in mathematics. Firstness is also defined, in mathematical
language, as an independent function.

Further, the practical, symbolic, and mathematical relations essential to
describing a chemical reaction depend on a such a rhetorical representation of
the relationships between precursors and products, predecessors and successors.
Two necessarily separate and distinct objects (as sin-signs) with different
indexes of quali-signs and different icons.  They are both diagrams.

For further insight on CSP's views on the nature of relations, see his papers
on copulative logic.

Or, am I somehow mis-interpreting your diagrams and and extra-ordinarily strong
conclusions you perceive?

Cheers

Jerry