From: Frederik Stjernfelt [mailto:stj...@hum.ku.dk]
Sent: April 27, 2015 5:09 PM
To: biosemiot...@lists.ut.ee; Peirce-L 1
Subject: [PEIRCE-L] Re: [biosemiotics:8498] Re: Natural Propositions,

Dear John, lists,

Den 27/04/2015 kl. 21.49 skrev John Collier
<colli...@ukzn.ac.za<mailto:colli...@ukzn.ac.za>>
:

In my case, at least, as I have said several times before, perceptions without
judgements seem to be pretty near possible, except maybe in some extremely
altered states of consciousness. I look out the window, and I can't help but
see a telephone pole, not a hodge-podge of colours and shapes. Our seeing is of
specific things in general classifications, at least almost always. Anything
that suggests there is something on which that is based is a hypothesis, or at
least an act of thought that ignores the generalities and concentrates on the
specificities. It is not an easy act of thought, either. It takes considerable
effort or training in most cases.

Agreed. (you mean "impossible" rather than "possible" in the first period,
right?) We not only se a telephone pole - we se there is this telephone just
there, at exactly this and that position in our visual 3-D surroundings.
Perception is typically propositional (In ch. 5 of Natural Propositions I run
through the arguments that this is even neurally hardwired in the
ventral/dorsal split in the senses). To claim we first perceive uninterpreted
colors or forms is not correct as pertaining to the large majority of everyday
perceptions. Of course such things may happen, in dreams, illusions, ecstasy,
surprises, etc. but marginally and momentarily only. To believe we generally
first see such phenomena is to substitute a perception theory for what we
actually experience. But we may train ourselves to focus upon such firstnesses
by prescission - painters, e.g. have to practice such a procedure meticulously
... but that is isolating firstness from its nesting in second- and thirdnesses.

Best