An intervention concerning two recent posts and intertwined issues.

On Jul 15, 2015, at 12:51 PM, Thomas wrote:

> Emotion propels a lot of activity other than logic. Usually they are
> considered as opposites.  Their mutually reinforcing partnership when
> abduction occurs is the paradox of Man's success.

and From Gary's post:

"There is a reason, an interpretation, a logic, in the course of scientific
advance, and this indisputably proves to him who has perceptions of rational or
significant relations, that man's mind must have been attuned to the truth of
things in order to discover what he has discovered. It is the very bedrock of
logical truth. CP 6.476"

The question of the entelechy creates tension between these two assertions.

Creative people act with planning and purpose.  Management of personal and
professional affairs often engages hours, days, weeks, months... of logical
preparation in pursuit of a particular goal. Generally such activities are
driven by personal desires and emotions.   Correspondently, the unfolding of
success or failure is consequence of the logical and emotional components of
the earlier motivations.

Thus, I find no conundrum nor paradox in the general relation between emotions
and logic.  Also, I find no substantial reason to introduce any special form of
logic into the discussion.

However, on a individual case by case basis, emotions often overrule trivial
logical concerns/issues and like-wise, logical conclusions often overrule
trivial emotional concerns.  (Some may call this mental titter-todder a
"judgment".)

My first overt recognition of the radix of this situation occurred several
decades ago when I was an active participant in governmental safety and health
debates during rule-making processes where competing economic interests were
"in play".

One see this often on this and other list serves when scientists seek to be
persuasive, and base their logic for a philosophical position based on their
religious beliefs.  In other words, religious beliefs become the critical
foundational belief for the emotional preliminaries that set the stage for the
rhetoric premises that leads to conclusions.

CSP introduced the concept of "Leading Principle" to express his recognition of
the rhetorical fog that we all swim in.
IMHO, the concept of "Leading Principle" deserves deeper inquiry that it
generally given.  In my opinion, the recent months of discussions on "Natural
Propositions" started not from CSP's leading principle, the trichotomy, but
rather ill-defined sources.  Fortunately, the discussions of diagrammatic logic
put value into exercise.

On an aligned topic, I am currently reading "Infinitesimal - How a Dangerous
Mathematical Theory shaped the Modern World." by Amir Alexander.   Excellent
history, almost reads like a novel.  This book supplies deep background on
several of CSP beliefs that deeply conflict with modern theories of mathematics
and science. When time permit, I tentatively plan a significant post on this
topic.

Cheers

Jerry