Matt - I have some logical questions:

1) "instincts are no longer considered to work toward the probable perpetuation
of the species, but they work only toward the probable perpetuation of their
specific gene type, sometimes at the expense of the species."

I always dislike the passive tense "no longer considered to work'...because it
leaves out the important AGENT. Who says that instincts no longer work toward
the continuity of the species"? Proof? Or just some 'expert'
(Appeal-to-Authority Fallacy).

Instincts work only toward the perpetuation of their gene type? Ah, a
reductionist view - and how does the gene harm the species? Examples of both
privileging the gene and harming the species?

And

2) "Perhaps you're right. If so, and if the scientists who say we've already
embarked on the sixth mass extinction, which is caused by man and threatens
man's existence, and if Sapolsky is also right, it's because man's instincts
outweighed his logic."

Which scientists? Do they 'know' the truth? Do any disagree with them? And
isn't instinct in itself, embedded Reason? That is, the embedded (instinctual)
normative habits of organization of a species, from the lizard to the human,
are in themselves, expressions of Mind, of 'universal Reason'. Therefore, they
are logical - eg, the capacity for language, the capacity for abductive or
hypothetical reasoning vs inductive/deductive.

Edwina

  Somewhere the Essential Peirce he says something to the extent that an act in
violation of love is illogical. You might find some support for your idea if
you can find it.

  On the other hand, I know instinct isn't logic, but this might be relevant: I
learned from listening to a lecture by Robert Sapolsky that instincts are no
longer considered to work toward the probable perpetuation of the species, but
they work only toward the probable perpetuation of their specific gene type,
sometimes at the expense of the species.

  Right now I can only narrow the source down to the first two or three
lectures in this series:
  https://youtu.be/NNnIGh9g6fA?list=PL848F2368C90DDC3D

  Perhaps you're right. If so, and if the scientists who say we've already
embarked on the sixth mass extinction, which is caused by man and threatens
man's existence, and if Sapolsky is also right, it's because man's instincts
outweighed his logic.

  https://woods.stanford.edu/news-events/news/mass-extinction-here

  Matt