From: Edwina Taborsky [mailto:tabor...@primus.ca]
Sent: Monday, 12 October 2015 3:03 PM
To: Stephen Jarosek; 'Ozzie'
Cc: 'Matt Faunce'; 'Peirce-L'
Subject: Re: [PEIRCE-L] Re: A Second-Best Morality

To my understanding, Stephen J.,  you subscribe to what is known as the 'Empty
Bucket' or tabula rasa theory of the mind (Locke's theory) where the human
species is born with an empty brain and 'learns how to be' from almost passive
experience. A subjectivist theory - i.e., there is only one kind of knowledge -
that possessed by a knowing subject. This of course leads to nominalism and
relativism and of course precludes Truth, which can't exist in such an
epistemology.

See Karl Popper's strong criticism of this approach in his 'Objective
Knowledge'. He opts instead, as did Peirce, for the existence of 'the real',
the objective reality which exists outside of human cultural beliefs;  and
human knowledge can examine this reality and arrive at its truth, as a Peircean
'community of scholars' - within our innate dispositions to be rational, to
imagine, to be analytical and to communicate - such as the disposition to learn
a language.

Now, you also seem to define the acquisition of knowledge as based on and only
on individual subjective experience; that is, you reject any common will to
knowledge or any innate capacity for examination of the objective world. I
don't subscribe to the extreme reductionism of Dawkins, who places all
causality in 'the genes' - and I totally reject his memes theory of culture -
BUT, I think that all species have both innate knowledge of 'how to be' and the
human species has the least amount of innate knowledge - and this is  genetic.
What the human species has, genetically, is the capacity for logic, order,
organization and symbolic communication. These permit its knowledge base of
'how to be' to evolve, adapt, change, while the knowledge base of, let's say a
frog, is limited, and it must change its physiology to adapt, while the human
species changes its technology - a far easier and faster method of adaptation.
Language - and the rational analysis of the world - which are both genetic
within our species - enables man to critique, describe, the objective reality
and change his methods of interaction with it.

Your references to the Buddhist and Zen 'emptying the bucket' so to speak, are
merely desires to empty oneself of one's beliefs - the subjectivist beliefs
that one has learned - but this action doesn't include obtaining another set of
beliefs to 'fill the bucket' but to open the mind to the objective world such
that one's innate capacity for reason and analysis can view it objectively.

Edwina