"things are so because they are called so."

 That does sound a trifle nominalist. Would not Peirce say something like
things are so because over time a community has concluded that the
inferences of persons multiply to into of consensus. Perhaps that is what
you mean as well. In which case I am guilty, like Rep. Jordan, oe
extracting a sentence to represent a whole thought.

I think some things are so, the most important ontological things, because
they are so, independent of what anyone calls them. I think Peirce agrees.

Books http://buff.ly/15GfdqU Art: http://buff.ly/1wXAxbl
Gifts: http://buff.ly/1wXADj3